30 January 2010

Different types of tea rooms

With all of my talk about afternoon tea I have been rather neglectful of a different kind of tea room that has been emerging in Australia - that is, the Asian-style team room serving cold tea drinks that make the most perfect refreshment on a hot summer afternoon.

I recently discovered Ten-Ren's Tea Cafe (there are two of them, seemingly identical, opposite each other in Swanston Street). So far I have tried their kumquat green tea, watermelon green tea and plum green tea. My favourite is the kumquat. These cold drinks are absolutely delicious on a hot day. Next time I will try one of their cold milk tea drinks. I also love the no-nonsense decor of the cafes which feel just like they have been plucked right out of a bustling Hong Kong side street.

Iced teas are perfect for a summer afternoon. I make my own black iced tea at home by simply filling a container with cold water and putting in some of my favourite black tea leaves and leaving overnight. I then serve it poured over ice the following afternoon with a bit of fresh lemon or lime. I never add any sugar.