05 June 2010

Rue McClanahan dies


And then there was one – Betty White is the last remaining Golden Girl with the death of the fabulous Rue McClanahan.

Blanche was my favourite Golden Girl , and Rue McClannahan so clearly loved playing the part, often saying of the part for which she was most famous ‘People always ask me if I’m like Blanche, and I tell them that Blanche was a vain, self-absorbed mankiller from Atlanta, and I’m not from Atlanta.’

Last year I read Rue’s autobiography, and thoroughly enjoyed it – the title alone (My First Five Husbands) tells you that you are going to be in for a great read, and that is what it is. She writes with frankness and candour as though she’s chatting with a girlfriend and even rates her (many) lovers on an excitement scale.

Here is a classic Blanche moment from The Golden Girls: