05 August 2010

Darwin
















Another place I visited recently for work was Darwin.

I am a bit embarrassed to admit that, like a good many Australians of my age, I have seen much more of the world than I have of my own backyard, and I had never been to the Northern Territory before this trip. I had fairly low expectations of intolerable humidity and rednecks. It was humid, and there was a bit of redneckness too, but actually it was all quite charming and overall people, whilst ocker, were very laid back and friendly. I was pleasantly surprised to say that I quite enjoyed myself.

This photo (from the internet, not from my camera) comes from the Crocosauraus Cove tourist attraction in the middle of town. As I only had a small amount of time to sightsee (I was there for work after all), I asked the locals for advice on what to see and they recommended this place and the NT Museum and Gallery. They were good recommendations. The gallery/museum is very good and its highlight is a large exhibit on Cyclone Tracey including a terrifying darkroom with surround-sound effects of what the cyclone was like.

As for the 'cove' , it was much better than I thought. It has enclosures for a number of large, retired crocodiles, many of whom had been relocated as a result of having become too aggressive in their old age at other tourist parks. There are also a large number of hatchlings and juveniles there too (I'm not sure what happens to them as they grow, but suspect the handbags in the gift shop have something to do with it), and there is a very good reptile house where I spent quite a bit of time. There is also a lot of information about crocodilians and even a film on Darwin's history. I learnt a lot about the Indigenous people of Darwin, who apparently were welcoming of white settlers and had a very different relationship with Europeans than was the case in most other parts of the country.

But the highlight of the place is this glass enclosure where you can see the crocodiles from every angle and, for an exorbitant additional fee, you can be lowered into their enclosures to have a close encounter with them. Several rather gung-ho blokes did this during my visit. They were very disappointed to find that none of the 5 crocs were remotely interested in them - they would not move or even look at the so-called 'cage of death'. They did not respond to noises, splashing or any other desperate attempts for attention. It was all rather amusing.