01 July 2009

Post Script: Wake in Fright

Further to my review below, I did a little online research and found this really interesting comment from barrie-2 on the discussion boards at IMDB that I thought I would share (note that the comments refer to remarks made by Jack Thompson, who appears in Wake in Fright and was speaking at a Sydney screening of the film a couple of weeks ago)

Jack Thompson said the response at the time was very negative. They didn't believe this showed a true Australia. We were far more refined - much more like the British or the Americans - and they didn't like the idea of this story going overseas. Very interestingly, a young Peter Weir sat in with the crew during the filming for a sort of early work experience. The influence on his work is enormous. I would have said it was his film if I hadn't known who directed it. The sense of dread, mencace, and ruin with no escape is exactly like The Cars That Ate Paris or Hanging Rock.

Now that it has been pointed out, Wake in Fright certainly does remind me somewhat of The Cars that Ate Paris, another film which deserves a revival, as well as the slew of other 1970s films that examined various dark sides to the Australian rural and outback ideal.

My online trawling also uncovered the fact that actor Gary Bond died in 1995 at the not very ripe old age of 55. It's not really very relevant in the scheme of things, but he did look very good in Wake in Fright, including in the brief (but apparently, for 1970s Australian cinema, mandatory) nude scene, which evidently was re-shot for American audiences with him wearing underwear (!)

I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know that the full frontal version is used in the restored print - a nice, lasting physical tribute to the late actor.